The Second Tower rises on the mount called Cesta, the highest peak of the Monte Titano, at 756 m. a.s.l..
It was an old sighting tower during the Roman age already and the name Cesta maybe originated from
“cista”, a case used by Romans to hold sacred furniture. The fifteenth-century tower is pentagonal and is
also called Fratta, maybe from “afrattata”, name that indicates the external segment of the walls with
hedges on the top. Between 1925 and 1935, it was restored and the medieval fortalice was built with
bleachers, communication trenches, brattices, passages, barracks and guardhouse. It is currently the seat
of the Old Weapons Museum. Following the 2017 change of the national designs of Euro coins, the San
Marino €1,00 coin depicts a wonderful view of the Second Tower .